Thursday, October 22, 2015

Day 58

I was really tired Wednesday morning, but went to class anyway. We discussed Bill Clinton and Monica Lewinsky and that sort of thing.

We had a class trip to the Archives of India ( which is actually the New World) and the Cathedral for LAC, both of which were super cool to see.

The archives didn't have a whole lot on display, but it was a very beautiful building, and what they did have out was pretty cool. Here I decided to feature a painting of Columbus, a bust of Cortes, and a super old map of the Mississippi River in Louisiana.




The Cathedral, of course, offered sooooooooo much more to see. We didn't really get to look at anything when we went there for mass on our first Sunday here, so this was a really cool experience. Everything is so huge and ornate--so Gothic! I love it.






The treasures--so incredible!







Christopher Columbus is in there!







We also got to climb to the top of the Giralda (what was formerly the minaret of the old mosque and is now the bell tower). It was amazing! You don't climb steps up--it's all ramps, because the Muslims used to get up to the top on horseback. So neat!

I thought the views from atop the Giralda were MUCH better than those from the mushrooms (not that those were bad or anything, though). I could see the mushrooms, the bull ring, and many little plazas that I've been to plenty of times already. Take a look! It was beautiful.











When the bells went off, it was terrifying. That was the only drawback! Well, that and all the obnoxious tourists. But I guess I was being somewhat of an obnoxious tourist, too.

A bunch of us grabbed lunch afterward at this place called The Good Burger (no relation to the film, unfortunately). It was your typical European fast food experience, though: RIDICULOUSLY SLOW. And we had to get back to school for a Cultural Mentorship Program meeting, so I ended up taking my salad to go.

The meeting was cool. It was led by Maria, the same lady who led the architectural walking tour my first week here in Seville. She's a really cool person. We watched some clips and discussed some things, and that was pretty much it.

Immediately after, Katie and I rushed over to the little sports complex place to play soccer. We only got to be there for twenty minutes or so, but it was still fun. My team won again! And I definitely got an assist, so I was happy about that.

I took a shower, which was much-needed and very pleasant. I chilled for a little while until dinner rolled around. The food was okay. Later, though, Jon, one of the semester students, took Katie and me to an international beer bar. We got a little lost on the way there, but found it nonetheless. 

It was really cool! I tried three different beers. They were all from Belgium, but were nothing like each other. We're for sure going back.

I ended up going to bed kind of late again, which was less than desirable, but I know I'll be able to catch up over these next few nights. 

Break is almost here! Wooooooooo! 

No comments:

Post a Comment