Monday, October 5, 2015

Day 41

Today, our main plan was to attend mass at the Seville Cathedral. Katie, Gina, and I set out around 9:45 to go get breakfast. We had coffee and hot chocolate at the same place as yesterday, and the same guy was working there and remembered us. After, we ended up getting muffins at a different place than either of the bakeries we’d been to previously because pretty much everything is closed here on Sunday. It was a cool restaurant, though, and we’ll probably go there for lunch sometime.

We made our way up to the cathedral, which is probably at least a mile and a half walk, but a really nice walk. I thought mass was at noon, but it turned out to be at 1:15. To kill some time, we went to one of the several Starbucks locations in the city center so Gina could get a pumpkin spice latte and I could use the restroom (which was out of toilet paper. Sooooo classic). We sat on the steps outside the cathedral for a while and enjoyed the not-too-hot weather.

The mass itself was not exactly what I was expecting. Well, I expected the altar to be beautiful and for the whole service to be in Spanish, and both of those expectations were met for sure, but other things were weird. There wasn’t a whole lot of seating, but it was filled. Almost nothing was sung, there was hardly any kneeling (probably because the kneelers weren’t padded and to get to communion you basically had to walk on the kneelers), each reading began with a sort of preface or summary (I think), and we had no sort of book to even attempt following along in (could’ve really used a Breaking Bread 2015…or even just the “Padre Nuestro” on a piece of cardstock). Overall, though, it was a great experience. And at the very least I got to receive communion.

After mass, we grabbed lunch at a little place close by. I had a four cheese crepe, which weirdly tasted like blueberries, but was still pretty good. We also successfully ordered tap water, which actually tastes a lot like the tap water at home, so I enjoy it. (In case you’re ever in one of Spain’s major cities and want to order it, it’s “agua del grifo”). Don’t laugh, but then we actually went to Starbucks—though a different one than before—again, because I wanted a mango and passion fruit frappuccino.

We wanted to go see Plaza de España in the daylight, so we went there next. Unfortunately, there was a HUGE breast cancer run this morning that I think started and ended there, so they were de-setting up from all of that, making it difficult for us to get any good pictures. Tired anyway, we went to the hostel for siesta time.

Parakeets in the tree! So exotic!



Look what I picked off a tree and played with! Love all the magnolias here. Also saw a crepe myrtle tree today...just like home!


Of course, Katie and I don’t nap, so we actually Skyped with Anarita for about two hours. It took a while to get started because the Wi-Fi in this hostel is pretty awful, but it ended up working out okay. After that, we just chilled for a while before meeting back up with Gina to go have another “early” (aka pre-9:00) dinner, this time at a Mexican restaurant we had coupons for.

I’ve obviously had lots of Mexican food in my life, but I gotta say, this place is waaaaaayyyyyyyy up there on my list of favorite Mexican places now. The food was indescribably flavorful and amazing. Our coupons allowed us one free margarita with a purchase of any dish, so we ordered two appetizers and an entrée to split: nachos, something like queso (definitely different, but still delicious—kind of like the queso you’ll find at the Mexican restaurants in NYC), and spinach and cheese enchiladas. We ate every bite of every plate! Also, the margaritas were super tasty. I ended up getting a second one (they were pretty little). Katie and I also split a chocolate and caramel brownie for dessert, which was pretty amazing. Katie and Gina didn’t order a second margarita because they wanted to go get tinto de verano at Mercado Provenzal, but by the time we got there, they were closed. (Feeling pretty clutch about getting my second marg).

So tomorrow I’m going to have to get up at 7, which I’m not super thrilled about. I guess I am excited to see what my classes are like this module, though, so that’s good. No matter what, I’m glad that my first weekend here was as totally fabulous as it was!

No comments:

Post a Comment