Wednesday, October 7, 2015

Day 43

I started my Tuesday by getting up, getting dressed, and going down to breakfast at 8, just like yesterday. Only this time, just a few of us from the Ethics class were there. Hardly anyone got to class on time, and our professor started the movie well before most of the class showed up.

The movie was called "Crossing Over," and it was basically like an intense, serious, rated-R version of "Valentine's Day" that focused on immigration issues instead of relationship issues. Overall, I really liked it, and like "Valentine's Day" it had a very recognizable cast (most notably: Harrison Ford, Ray Liotta, Ashley Judd, Jim Sturgess aka Jude from "Across the Universe," Janis Ian from "Mean Girls," and Bryan from "The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants." Okay, so maybe this cast was just star-studded for me...but I mean, it did have Harrison Ford). It was pretty over-dramatic, and definitely low-budget, but enjoyable all the same.

In LAC, we learned about pre-Roman Spain, like the Iberians, Celts, Celtiberians, Basques, Phoenicians, Greeks, Carthaginians, and so on. Then we randomly went on a tangent (I think we were supposed to do this yesterday, actually) and learned about the current political situation in Spain, and how it got to where it is following the death of Franco. Carmen had lots of funny things to say about the Spanish royal family ("Those Borbónes are cute as kids, but when they grow up they're UGLY"), as well as the English royal family. 

Right after class, Katie, Gina, and I walked to Puerta de Jerez in the city center since that was the meeting place for the architectural walking tour we had signed up for at 1:00. Eva, Elyse, Ariel, and Ceci ended up coming, too, so it was a nice, small group (but not awkwardly small like on Saturday). The tour guide, Maria, was super cool, and did a really good job of keeping us involved. It wasn't so much about history, or touristic things, but more about the modern architecture in Seville. The two coolest things were this courtyard in the middle of a hotel (that used to be four houses sort of connected by their shared courtyard) that now looks SUPER chic, and the famous mushrooms of Seville (Metropol Parasol). 







It was all so cool! And the weather was perfect for the walk. 

Once we got back to the hostel, it was immediately time for Spanish tutoring! Katie, Gina, and I were the only people who signed up, but it was still fun. The tutor, whose name I cannot spell, but whose nickname is Tete, is super cool and funny. We met him on Saturday at that walking tour. He let us get in some practice at talking about ourselves in Spanish, and even complimented me on how well I understood what he was saying in Spanish (mostly because he was talking slowly and clearly). He also talked to us a little more about the culture here and whatnot. It was fun, and I think we're going again Thursday.

The rest of the afternoon was pretty chill, and then we had dinner at 8, which was good again. I wanted to get one of those amazing chocolate pastries I was raving about on some of my previous posts, mostly because I was planning on staying up to take the College Jeopardy! online test at 2:00 am, so we did that, too. It hit the spot! 

For the rest of the evening, I just killed some time, doing homework and whatnot. To make this long story short, I ended up having technical difficulties with the Jeopardy! website and could not take the test. However, I was not the only one, and they ended up saying that they will offer another test on a different day. 

Even still, though, I stayed up until 3:00 am for almost nothing. BUT waking up to see that I will (hopefully) get to take the test still AND that the Astros WON made it all worth it. #HustleTown #Chasefor1

No comments:

Post a Comment