Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Day 57

Attendance at breakfast was probably the lowest it's been so far on the morning of Day 57. However, a somewhat decent amount of people showed up to Ethics. We started to watch The Constant Gardener (starring Voldemort), but the internet is so terrible on that laptop/in that classroom that we had to give up after 30 minutes. (Again, I don't know why we don't just play DVDs...) We had a class discussion about some hypothetical situation of being a driver of a tram car with broken brakes.

In LAC, we spent some time discussing more thoroughly the history and linguistics of Castilian (that's Spanish, if you don't know), but spent more time watching YouTube videos of flamenco performances. I don't know.

We went to the yummy sandwich place down the street for lunch. The multi-lingual guy who works there wasn't there this time, so I had a little bit of difficulty relaying my order (it's not technically on the menu. All the menu items contain meat, or at least eggs). Everything turned out fine, though, and I got a little bit more Spanish practice into my day.

Speaking of Spanish practice: later in the afternoon, after writing some blog posts and whatnot, I made my way to the local school for my service. I swear, those kids were even rowdier today than last time! But they're still so precious. I showed them pictures of my house and car, and also played hangman with them. (They didn't know the word "student." I felt bad). Again, I tried my best to understand their screams and whispers to me (all in Spanish, of course), and I think I did all right. A few of the boys were asking me something that I just could not understand. They then asked me how old I am, and I told them, and then, when they said, "¡O, mujer!" I realized that they had been asking if I was a woman or a girl. I guess being 20 makes me a woman to them. Because of this, I guess, they seemed sort of surprised that I answered in the negative when they asked if I have a boyfriend. So last week, they were all, "She's so pretty!" and hugging me and whatnot, but then this week they were more like, "She's WAY too old to be single!" (Not that I took any of it to heart, of course. I thought it was hilarious).

The little girl who drew the picture of me last week made it pretty clear that she's obsessed with me, and I absolutely love that. She chased me down in the hallway after class let out just to give me a hug. Sooooooooo cute.

My evening was pretty chill, and then dinner at the hostel was less than impressive, as usual. It was okay, though, because it was TUESDAY which meant we were going out to Mercado Provenzal.

This time, Tiffany joined Katie, Gina, and me, and we had soooooo much fun. Later, a bunch of other people from our program came as well to celebrate Ethan's 21st birthday, so that was cool. 

I ended up going to bed kind of late, but at this point, I'm used to it. 

Just counting down the days to break at this point!

2 comments:

  1. Isn't Castilian different from Spanish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to my professor, the Castilian dialect is the standard of Spanish. She says Castilian and Spanish are synonymous.

      Delete