Thursday, October 15, 2015

Day 51

Wednesday mornings are not so bad because my Ethics class ends at 9:45. In class...well, I honestly can't describe what happened in class. I think people were just kind of sharing...their feelings? I don't know. Some people showed clips from movies, others played songs...it was weird. And as I was leaving class, I think my professor might've asked me to help him learn English (he put together "English major" and "wants to be a teacher" and assumed that meant I know how to teach the language itself). So we'll see what happens there.

We talked more about linguistics and the history of the Spanish language in LAC, which was interesting. Like yesterday, it was a little repetitive, but not too terrible.

Katie and I headed to Puerta de Jerez where we met up with Izabela the RA and some other people from our program (Chelsea, Michelle, Anissa, Shavonne, Shaq, Vincent, La Shay, Eva, and Ariel) to go to a cooking class. It was in a cute little place that's both a cooking class place and a small organic food store that's over by the two Roman columns in the city center.


IT. WAS. AMAZING! We really didn't do much cooking ourselves--just a little vegetable chopping here and there--but we really didn't mind. It was this cute little old lady who mostly spoke Spanish (but clearly enough that we could pretty much understand everything she said) and her son's girlfriend, who used to live in New York. They were SUPER nice. We made gazpacho, which was so incredibly delicious. We even got to drink it in a glass like the locals do! We also made rice with chicken and vegetable rice (for Vinny and me, the vegetarians). I can't even believe how good that rice was. It was probably the best rice I've ever had. And the vegetables were all SO fresh and flavorful. Ugh. I wish I could eat that every day!


On the way back to the hostel, Katie and I popped into a Starbucks to get an iced coffee and a frappuccino, respectively. It was finally sunny outside for the first time in days, so it was a very pleasant walk. Once we got home, we kinda just chilled for most of the afternoon. 

Dinner was probably the worst it's been as of yet. Gabby, one of the semester students, said it was even the worst it's been since August, so that's pretty sad. I mostly ate French fries and a banana. 

At 9, we attended a flamenco class in one of the hostel's classrooms put on by one of the Spanish students who help with all the activities we do here. We learned how to do 3/4 parts of the sevillanas, which is the version of flamenco that originated here in Seville. My partner was La Shay, and we really weren't terrible. We got really sassy with the arms, so that at least made it fun. I'm looking forward to the next lesson so we can learn the last part of the dance!

I spent the rest of the night trying to figure out what courses I want to take next semester. I thought I had a decent idea, but it turned out the courses that had been posted were pretty much all incorrect, so now I kind of had to start over. It should be okay, though, or so I hope. We shall see...

No comments:

Post a Comment