Sunday, September 27, 2015

Day 34

Day 34 began pretty uneventfully. I stayed in bed until almost 10, which was excellent, and then didn't do much of anything for a while.

Since Katie and I had both used up all of our meal tickets from the week before, I suggested we try a different place for lunch. The graduate assistants and staff here put together a newletter every week that they email out to all us students about things going on in Rome and on campus and whatnot, and at the very end is always a restaurant suggestion. We decided to try this week's suggestion: Il Brillo Parlante. The restaurant's logo basically looks like a slightly intoxicated Jiminy Cricket, so it seemed promising.


We were not disappointed. I got trofie pasta (maybe my new favorite pasta) that had like pesto and parmesan and yummy stuff and even came in a pretty little parmesan bowl (which was difficult to cut and tasted like flavor-blasted goldfish). I also had a delicious bellini. The best part, though, was probably our waiter, who was obsessed with me.


We were kind of interested in buying ridiculous Pope Francis t-shirts, so we headed down a little ways toward the Trevi Fountain to check out all the tourist crap shops there. We found some shirts, but instead chose to buy little leather bracelets that say "I <3 Papa Francesco." So cute.

All of a sudden, we were right by Valentino's! We definitely lack the will power to turn that down, even though we technically went there for our "last time" on Friday. I didn't really have change, though; I needed to break a 50 somehow.

I had kind of been wanting to get a bottle opener, so we looked around in all the crap stores for a good one. After seeing Pope Francis shot glasses, Katie thought we should look for a Pope Francis bottle opener. And what do you know--we found one! I bought it, broke the 50, and then went to get Rome's best gelato.

We had a nice walk back to school, and then some nice chill time. I squeezed in a quick Skype session with my parents and siblings while my parents were still in Baton Rouge, and then Katie and I Skyped with Anarita. Typical Sunday stuff. But my last Sunday in Rome!

Mass was great, as usual. This time I only did the first reading, which of course had some weird Old Testament names. We had yet another priest (who was super young, and from Houston!), who was joined by Deacon Rob (who we met at our second mass here) and Bryan (who was with us at St. Peter's yesterday). Other than Katie and me, five people came to mass, which was (sadly) a good turnout. Deacon Rob gave a really great homily (he's going to be a wonderful priest), and the pizza was delicious as per usual.

So I guess tomorrow I actually have to get serious and start studying for my finals and packing and all. Sigh. It's not so bad though. I'll survive.

No comments:

Post a Comment