Thursday, September 17, 2015

Day 24

It seems like every Thursday has been the hottest day of the week every week that we've been here. This is especially unfortunate, seeing as our City of Rome class site visits always fall on Thursdays.

I began this hot day by getting my usual breakfast of a sugar-coated donut and pineapple juice at one of the little places across the street (usual meaning that's what I get when I actually do get breakfast, which is not every day). It was delicious as usual. I think I'm developing somewhat of a friendship with the lady who works there, too. Same goes for certain people who work at all of the places across the street.

Even though class didn't go the full four hours today, it sure felt long. Three. Group. Presentations. Thank God at least one of them was my group.

First, we met in class to hear a group present on Giuseppe Garibaldi, who is more or less the father of the modern unified Italian state. To be quite frank, the reading we had to do on him before class was much more interesting than the presentation they gave. The reading included all kinds of fun and borderline scandalous anecdotes, but the group just gave us names and dates and places.

It was okay, though, because our group just sounded all the better when we presented on site at St. Peter's Square. Of course, the fifteen minute walk in the sun was entirely too much for the class to bear (cough--BABIES--cough), so we had to stand off to the side in the shade of the accolades. Actually, almost everyone sat right on the ground while we stood and presented.

I discussed the history and architecture of St. Peter's Basilica. I went the route of including fun anecdotes, which I think were enjoyed (they at least got a kick out of learning about Pope Julius II). Since we were off in the shade, no one could actually see the facade I was talking about. However, none of them would have turned to look anyway most likely. (I'm chuckling to myself because it sounds like I absolutely hate the people in this class or something. That is 100% not the case. I just wish they loved the course material as much as I do).

Katie and Gina gave wonderful presentations on the portico/accolades, and fountains/obelisk, respectively. I think we were the best group. Although, I was pleasantly surprised with the last group presentation, which was given right after ours on site at Castel Sant'Angelo. Still, though, we were pretty great.

We were dismissed by Prof. Locatelli at Castel Sant'Angelo at 1:15, an hour and 45 minutes early. After getting back to campus, Katie and I got some yummy pizza for lunch at Good (same place we went after mass) which was super clutch. My stomach is always grumbling during Theology, but it didn't today!

Theology was actually not terrible again. We discussed Pope Leo XIII's Rerum Novarum, and I found out that I made 100s on the last two quizzes! I made a 90 and an 80 on the first two, by the way. Don't think I ever mentioned that. He's a really easy grader.

Katie and I had dinner at Fonzie's, the burger place. Like last time, I tried to order their artichoke burger, and once again I was told they "don't have it today." Classic Italians! I am determined to try this stupid artichoke burger before I leave, though.

I tried to read papal encyclical 3/5 tonight, but only got about halfway through. Sigh.

Tomorrow morning we go to the catacombs. I'm 97% sure they're the same ones I visited last summer, but whatever. It's a free trip. Also, I think we might get to do some other things that I didn't get to do last summer, but we'll see.

1 comment: