Monday, September 7, 2015

Day 13

Packed up and quite done with Seven Hostel, we began Day 13 with a trip to the ruins of Pompeii. Pompeii was one of my favorite places I visited last summer, so I was really quite thrilled to return. I was not disappointed either; our tour took a different route and saw several different things than I saw on my tour with EF. Also, our guide kept comparing Pompeii to the Houston/Galveston area (I think because he probably lived there for a little while) which I appreciated, obviously.


Mt. Vesuvius in the distance


Skeletons of a dog and child






The Bus2Alps guides recommended we try out Pompeii Pizza for lunch, especially since we were right by Naples, where Margherita pizza was allegedly invented. Katie and I gladly took them up on this offer and had some very delicious pizza. I also ordered a special lemon Peroni, which was ALMOST as good as Radler in Munich--which is definitely saying something. I'm gonna see if I can find more of it back in Rome!


Lots of the other St. John's people who ate at Pompeii Pizza seemed to have a miserable time there and didn't enjoy the food, but we had no complaints. Really, I honestly have no complaints about the whole weekend. Okay, yes, I complained about the hostel some, and about the hiking, but I wouldn't have changed any of it. It was a remarkable experience.

Our bus ride back to Rome was much, much nicer than the bus ride down to the Coast. I was actually able to hear and watch both movies: Friends with Benefits and some terrible Chris Rock movie (wish it had been Top Five).

Safely back on campus, Katie and I FINALLY Skyped with Anarita and got the lowdown on how things are going back in NY. It's too bad she can't be here with us, but I'm glad we have such great ways of staying in touch.

Mass was once again held in a classroom, which was still awkward but somewhat better this time because we at least had a deacon helping the priest. I did the readings and responsorial psalm, and I think I did a decent job. Probably would've been better if I had a podium or something, but I made it work. They ordered from a different pizza place for us this time, and I actually liked it a lot better than the other place. And yes, this is the second Sunday in a row I've had pizza for both lunch and dinner. Judge me!

I wrapped up the evening by group Skyping with my parents and Mackie (since my biological siblings seem to want nothing to do with me). Apparently, even this tiny little Rome college campus has better Wi-Fi than my parents do at the house. They were blurry and couldn't really hear us the whole time, while Mackie and I were clear as day to each other both audibly and visually. Regardless, though, it was wonderful to see them and chat some.

And now, I tackle week 2 of school...

6 comments:

  1. Seriously, it was HD quality. I appreciate it! Loved getting to Skype!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do they actually drink Peroni there? That would surprise me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, can't say I've seen any Italian drinking any beer honestly. But I think if they do they actually do drink Peroni.

      Delete
  3. Also, you didn't stop by ole Caecilius' house? If that is even a thing...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Peroni - yes! And best blogger ever, Meme!

    ReplyDelete