Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Summer '16 Trip: Day 4

We stayed up a little later than we’re used to Monday night, so Day 4 started a little bit later (we got up a little after 9 or so). After getting dressed and all, we tried out the hostel breakfast. It was decent, but I’ve certainly had better. At least there was plenty of ice water! That is very difficult to come by in Europe.

We headed out to the city center, and arrived at Marienplatz (the main square) just shy of 11:00. This was perfect, because one of the things I wanted Kayla to see was the dancing figurines of the Glockenspiel. To kill ten minutes, we did a little souvenir shopping, and then we rejoined the growing crowd in the square. Luckily, the Glockenspiel “show” was just as cute as I remembered.

Inside the Church of St. Michael the Archangel


Glockenspiel!



Next, we went to Ludwig Beck, the fancy department store where I bought my dirndl dress two years ago. This time, I bought a pretty flower crown thing to match my dress, and Kayla did a little gift-shopping. (People at home be warned—I’m only buying things that I was specifically requested to get this time).

I wanted to try and see if I could remember my way from Marienplatz to the Hofbräuhaus. Believe it or not, but I did! Even after two years. (It’s not really a great distance or anything, but the streets are a little winding and confusing). We looked in the Hofbräuhaus gift shop, and also the other souvenir shops right there. I love little crappy souvenir stores like that. I have so much fun in them! Also, Germany is apparently pretty big on rubber ducks, my favorite thing to collect!


Someone we met at the hostel bar the night before told us to check out the English Garden on the north side of the city, so that’s where we went next. It was such a lovely day (albeit pretty hot in the sun), and just the perfect time to go to a park. We found a really cute and yummy place to have lunch nearby, which was good because we were both thirsty and in need of a bathroom. After that, though, we were ready to go walk around and people watch. That area is known for nude sunbathers, so that was interesting to see. In the not-nude area, though, we got some ice cream (apparently it was National Ice Cream Day back home) and sat down by a tree to people watch for a bit.

How did we know we'd see wedding photos in the park?


My yummy pretzel-bagel sandwich


Next, we wanted to go see the famous surfer’s wave on the little fake river that runs through the park. It was even cooler than I expected it to be! Some of those people are very skilled. Also, that area was nice and shaded, so we enjoyed that.



I believe this was part of the National Museum...


The sun kinda wore us out some, so we decided to make the relatively long walk back to the hostel. Once there, we rested for quite a while. I think we needed it! We definitely felt much better afterward.


I changed into my dirndl and flower crown, Kayla changed into a cute outfit, and we headed to the Hofbräuhaus for dinner. It, too, was just as great as I remembered! Once again, I had a Radler and spaetzle (can’t go wrong!), and Kayla had a Radler and a pork steak with onions and scalloped potatoes. We also got a giant pretzel to share. It probably shouldn’t come as a surprise that we couldn’t finish it all—it was so filling! 




It’s hard to do much after a meal like that, so we went back to the hostel and went to bed. Overall, Munich was great! But we couldn’t be more excited for SALZBURG!

No comments:

Post a Comment