Monday, July 18, 2016

Summer '16 Trip: Day 2

Sundays are a little slow in Europe, so we didn’t get up until around 9. Kayla wanted to take me to a cool indoor market thing that does brunch on Thursdays and Sundays, so that’s where we headed first.

It really was neat! The theme today was “Mexican Fiesta,” but they had a pretty wide variety of stuff. I actually got some sugar-coated focaccia bread, and Kayla got a Mexican-style eggs benedict. It was kind of hectic in there, so I didn’t take any pictures, but now I really wish I had. It was so hipster and edgy.

Following our brunch, we headed back to the AirBNB so I could check the status of my lost suitcase online. There were no updates. I tried calling the office at Tegel several times, but the line remained busy. We decided to head out for more exploring.

A must-see for me was Berlin Cathedral, so that was our first stop. We got to go inside, which was exciting, although you had to pay—not cool, Germany. But at least we got a student discount! And the church was beautiful, of course. There was a lot of royalty buried in there, too.




We also got to see the outside of the German History Museum, since it’s right across the street from the church, and the TV Tower, since it’s nearby as well (and pretty hard to miss). Maybe we’ll go to the top of it when we come back at the end of our trip…





Next, we looked for a place to eat. We settled on a little tea house/café place that proved itself to be quite yummy. While we were there, I got a text from my mom saying that United Airlines confirmed that my suitcase made it to Berlin. Yay! But still no call from the airport. Since Kayla and I don’t like sitting around waiting for other people to do their jobs, we decided to take matters into our own hands and went back to the airport.

My pretty chai latte from lunch! 


As you can probably imagine, it was a somewhat annoying experience. I won’t relay every detail on here. All that matters is that we finally got the bag!!! I was overjoyed.


I missed Pat the Bunny so much!


After dropping the bag off at the AirBNB, I changed into a CLEAN OUTFIT and finally put some makeup on. I felt like a new person!

We wanted to rest for a minute before heading out again. While laying on our bed, Kayla looked up and noticed that a GIANT SPIDER was on the ceiling. Of course, we freaked out. We spent fifteen whole minutes trying to figure out how to kill the thing. We took turns throwing stuff at it and trying to suck it up with the vacuum. In the end, Kayla stood on the bed and crushed it with a broom, then let me use the vacuum to suck it off the broom. It was pretty ridiculous.

Following that hilarious ordeal, we headed out to go have dinner. This time we actually did go to a German restaurant, and it was very good. I tried a Berliner Weisse, a favorite of Kayla’s, which is over-fermented beer with raspberry syrup, and really enjoyed. Kayla ate some meatball thing, and I had a “veggie burger” (it definitely wasn’t a veggie burger, more like two potato cakes with some veggies n between, but it was tasty all the same). For dessert, we went to a cute little ice cream place. It hit the spot!


Our last event of the evening was a trip to the Berlin Wall Memorial, which I really enjoyed. It’s such a nice, quiet stretch of park with so much history. I’m glad we went, and like the evening before, the weather was perfect (despite the fact that it had rained for most of the morning).




After that, we went to the AirBNB and went to bed. And I got to wear my own pajamas!

No comments:

Post a Comment